Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Let His Light Shine on Halloween



Hi Gal Pals!

So last week I discussed how recently I decided that I would no longer participate with the scary & evil customs associated with Halloween, but rather I have decided to focus on the fun & good aspects.  This week, I would like to take this concept a step further and provide ways to celebrate without compromising your faith.  Is there a way to partake in this unusual holiday without compromising your Christian values?  For me, this answer is yes and here are some ways that will help me do this. 

 
1.  Make Halloween A Teachable Moment - Explain to your child that evil does exist in the world and how Halloween is a reminder of this, but that we need not fear for the bible teaches us that good always overcomes evil. (See Romans: 12:21 & Proverbs 14:19 )  Stress to your children that what is important is to have faith and keep Christ in all that you do. 
 
2.  Christian candy - you can glue bible verses (like the above mentioned verses) to candy that you plan on handing out or purchase pre-made christian candies:

http://www.familychristian.com/scripture-candy.html

http://www.orientaltrading.com/harvest-seeds-scripture-candy-corn-a2-_K1110.fltr


These harvest seeds candies are so cool!  I want to get some for next year.  This is a great way to meet your neighbors & share your faith.  This opportunity does not arise any other time of the year like it does on Halloween with all of the neighbors coming to your front door. 
 
3.  Christian inspired carving designs - Like the one displayed above.  This will allow you to literally let Jesus' light shine.  What a great way to visually evangelize when children & families come to your door. 
 
http://pumpkinglow.com/Patterns4.htm (free designs.  you just need adobe acrobat to download them)
 
 
 
4.  Pumpkin Carving Prayer - Here's a way to make pumpkin carving a spiritual experience and lesson for children.  Recite this as you create your jack-o-lantern.
 
 
Dear God,
As I carve my pumpkin help me say this prayer:

Open my mind so I can learn about You;
(Cut the top of the pumpkin)

Take away all my sin and forgive me for the wrong things I do.
(Clean out the inside)

Open my eyes so Your love I will see;
(Cut the eyes out)

I'm so sorry for turning up my nose to all you've given me.
(Cut a nose)

Open my ears so your word I will hear.
(Cut the ears )

Open my mouth so I can tell others You're near
(cut the mouth)

Let Your light shine in all I say and do! Amen.
(Place a candle inside and light it)
 
 
5. Further Reading - I recently purchased these two books through Amazon:  Let's Shine Jesus' Light on Halloween is a cute story for children & as mentioned last week Redeeming Halloween is a great resource for parents who want more ideas on ways to celebrate while still keeping faith. 


 

2 comments: