Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Striking a Balance Between Hubby & Hobby

I’m a giver, which is great, but, at times, it can also act as my kryptonite.  I absolutely embrace my roll as a caretaker of family and friends, and more recently my fiancé.  I love taking care of others and making them feel loved through my actions and it feels even better when I receive acknowledgement and appreciation for my deeds.  Unfortunately, the problem with this scenario is that, often times, I’m left feeling exhausted, disappointed and even grouchy. 

In caring for my loved ones, I often times place my needs on the backburner.   My once cherished hobbies and relaxing rituals I use to fill my time with during my single-life suddenly disappear.  In doing for others, I slowly start to lose myself.  In order to avoid this outcome, I have to constantly remind myself of the importance of what I call striking a balance between hubby and hobby (duty vs. leisure time).  Being recently engaged and now pregnant for the first time, I’m beginning to realize all the more how imperative it is to take time for myself.  Yes, I must be realistic about how much “me” time will be permitted when I become a mommy this winter, but nonetheless, if I don’t start getting in the habit of taking time for myself now, it definitely won’t happen later. 


Often times, us women are natural givers and caretakers of everyone and we come last.  Giving and caring for others is a beautiful selfless act, but it is essential to strike a balance between caring for those we love and taking time for ourselves.  The danger in giving is when that is all we do.  Giving & caring for our loved ones is a fulltime job, but when it also becomes our hobby, we are often times left with a feeling of emptiness, exhaustion and even unfulfilled expectations.  Let’s face it, being a wife and mother is a fulltime job and just like any other job; we need a break or a little leisure time to recharge the batteries.  This becomes even more important for those of us who work outside of the home in addition to caring for our families.  It’s just like a bank account; you can’t keep making withdrawals when there aren’t enough funds.  Every once in a while you need to make a deposit in your bank account to keep things in balance. 



One way of making sure that we ward off these feelings is to make ourselves a priority.  This could be anything from having your husband watch the kids while you go for a jog or finding some time to work on a long-lost hobby.  This blog is just one of my hobbies that provides me with a sense of self and enjoyment.   While I don’t get to blog as often as I use to, posting at least once a week serves as an outlet for me.  It’s a time during the week that I get to do something I enjoy, writing.  Other things I have enjoyed in the past are baking, running/walking, yoga, reading, praying & volunteering.  I’m actually hoping to take up yoga again beginning next week and praying is something that has always been central to my life and always will be. 

You simply have to make you a priority because no one else will.  If you do something simple for yourself on a weekly basis, you will feel happy and be a better wife, mother and friend.  Having a sense of self is both precious and priceless. 

So what do you all do for yourselves and how to do manage to strike a balance?


No comments:

Post a Comment