Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Guilt-Free Turkey Noodle Soup


Welcome Back!

I hope you all had a terrific Thanksgiving with your loved ones.  I know I did, which is why I didn't get around to posting last week.  My fiance & I hosted the thanksgiving shindig this year & it was extra special since it was our first holiday together.  I made a 17 pound bird which provided us with plenty of leftover turkey for the week plus all of the other naughty side dishes, which got me thinking about healthy eating.  I came across a recipe for chicken noodle soup last night and decided it would work well for all of the left over turkey we need to use up.  I just made a big pot of it for dinner tonight.

So I found this recipe in a new cook book I just purchased.  The recipe makes enough for two servings, which simply won't do when you are trying to use up a bunch of turkey, so I tripled the recipe to yield six servings.  Here's it is.

INGREDIENTS


1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrot
9 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
3 tsp. fresh minced parsley or 6 pinches dried
1.5 tsp. fresh thyme or 3 pinches dried
1.5 tsp. fresh rosemary or 3 pinches dried
1.5 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 oz. uncooked yolk-free wide noodles
1 cup diced chicken or turkey meat

DIRECTIONS

Place celery, carrot & 1 cup of the broth in a medium pot.  Cover & cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until veggies are tender; stirring occasionally.



Stir in remaining broth, parsley, thyme, rosemary, vinegar & pepper; bring to a boil.  Add noodles; cook until noodles are tender.  Stir in turkey/chicken meat and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes. 

Enjoy!


1 comment: