Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Silly Cow
It's October 1st.  Can you believe it?

October happens to be Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  So, on this Worry-Free Wednesday, I’ve decided to tackle the topic of breast cancer prevention.  In addition, I would like to dedicate today's post to a former UCSC co-worker, Samantha Szemeredi, who lost her battle with breast cancer on June 30, 2008.  She was 41 years old. 

Samantha fought her diagnosis for a couple of years, and while her cancer seemed to be in remission and her health began to improve, the disease came back with a vengeance and very suddenly took her life leaving many of her friends, family and colleagues (like myself) completely stunned.  Sadly, she left behind a husband and teenage son. 

The news of Samantha's death reached me via email two days after her passing (on what happened to be my 30th birthday – talk about irony).  It hit me like a ton of bricks.  I remember feeling completely shocked and saddened by the devastating news.  How could this be?  I asked myself.  She was so young, strong, ambitious and out-going.  This kind of thing just doesn't happen to someone like Samantha, I thought.  I then quickly came to the realization that cancer does not discriminate.  It was soon thereafter that the worry began to set in.  For the rest of the summer I devoted myself to staying fit by swimming vigorous laps around the pool and reading up on cancer statistics and prevention.  During my research, I learned some interesting facts about breast cancer. 

Did you know that only 5 to 10% of breast cancers are linked to inherited mutations?  Therefore, just because your mom had breast cancer doesn’t necessarily mean that you will.  And the reverse is true as well.  Just because breast cancer doesn’t run in your family doesn’t mean that you are immune to it.  Research has indicated that there are many factors that may increase a person’s chance of developing breast cancer.  Some of the possible at-risk categories include: being a woman (although men can get breast cancer, women are at higher risk), getting older, never having children or having your first child after age 35, weight gain, radiation exposure, high bone density, early menstruation (before age 12), late menopause (after age 55), use of alcohol and race (Caucasian women are at slightly higher risk).  So now you are probably thinking: Well, thanks Katherine for making me worry, but what do you want me to do with this information?  Well, rest assure, there is some good news.

With early detection, the odds of beating the disease are in your favor.  So instead of worrying about it, let's do something about it.  Educate yourself and take the proper measures to prevent the disease and learn from survivors like my acquaintance, Jamie Inman, CEO & Founder of the Stay in the Pink organization and two-time breast cancer survivor.  She is truly an inspiration.  Her motto:  I am alive. . . and I have cleavage!
Jamie Inman

In her article, Should We Be Doing Breast Self-Examinations?, Jamie reinforces the importance of performing monthly self-exams.  She states that although researchers may claim that there is no proven correlation between self-exams and a drop in the breast cancer mortality rate, “70 percent of all breast cancers are self- or spouse-detected, AND since mammograms miss 20 percent of tumors, my position is to equip women to do their exams with more skill and confidence so they don’t have to rely solely on mammogram and experts…” She also mentions how “studies show that only 14% of women perform a monthly breast self-exam.”  Now, can you imagine how many lives might be spared if 100% of us gals performed monthly self-exams?  Just a little food for thought.  

Breast cancer is a treatable and curable disease, but early detection is key.   It is imperative that women not only perform monthly self-exams, but also schedule regular check-ups with their physicians and try to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  So instead of worrying about an uncertain future and potential tango with the breast beast, let’s do something about it.  

 When was the last time you had an exam or mammogram?  Perhaps it’s time to schedule your appointment today.  I just scheduled my next doctor’s appointment.  October 26th, to be exact.  

So what are you waiting for?  There's no time like the present!

samantha culbertson 
In Memory of  Samantha Szemeredi

No comments:

Post a Comment