Thursday, June 14, 2012

Facebook: Too Taboo for You?

(photo credit: http://blog.maisestudo.com.br/paginas-ocultas-do-facebook/)

Good Morning Gal Pals!

Lately I've noticed that my recent posts seem to evolve around recipes mostly.  Well, not this one!  Today I want to address a topic that has been bothering me lately; Facebook!  Need I say more?  I know for many of us, its a great way to keep in contact with friends and see what they are up to as well as a way to network.  But, at the same time, I'm sure it is safe to say that Facebook has created some tension amongst your close friends or relatives at times or even rubbed you the wrong way when one of your "friends" has divulged way too much information about a private topic.  It poses the question: What happend to the days where ladies acted like ladies and where intimate details of your private life were shared over a cup of coffee with a close girl friend or left in the bedroom with your husband where it belongs?!  It seems as though now days no topic off limits or too personal to share with your closest 500 friends.  Really???? 

So with no further ado, I give you a list of real post topics that some of my Facebook "friends" have posted on the FB walls for further commentating.  Obviously, I won't share names and while I generally strive to not judge others, I think these Facebook comments perfectly sum up exactly why it is that, at times, I am disgusted with Facebook and sad for my female Facebook sisters. 

TABOO TOPICS

1.  That time of the month:  I don't need to know that your monthly visitor has arrived and that it makes you angry.  I'm sure your guy friends and relatives really didn't need to know this either.
2.  Bedroom talk:  I'm happy that your hubby loves you and that you guys are still going strong after 7 years of marriage.  But I really don't need to know how he loves your firm bottom and breasts and that he wants to be intimate with you later this evening.  Is it really necessary to share this info with all of your best Facebook buds which includes mom, dad, grandma, grandpa and possibly even your children?!  None of us need the play by play of how your intimate evening will unfold.  Geeze!

3.  Kinky encounters:  I don't even want to go into detail here.  It's just gross!!!  Just because you have discussed this with a friend or pondered it doesn't mean that you need to put it out there.   

I know that when I see comments like this on my homepage, its like looking at a public wall that has been vandalized with graffiti.  Believe me, I've actually cancelled my Facebook account before only to have to rejoin a few months later so that I could become part of a local swap/garage sale site (a great resource that's helped me save lots of money).  When I went a month without being on Facebook, as a woman, I felt like I was missing out on a lot of good news and photos that my girl friends would share.  So, what to do? 

Well, unfortunately, I'm mainly preaching to the choir here.  It's unfortunate, but until our "friends"  learn that there is a private messaging option built right into Facebook, the only other thing, short of closing your Facebook account, would be to delete the "friend" who consistently posts comments of such an offensive/personal nature.  I hate to sound so cut and dry about this topic, but when it comes to having my homepage polluted, there really isn't a gray area for me. 

By posting this, it is my sincere hope that all of us gals will think before divulging our most private details of our lives.  You are all special ladies made in the image of the Lord and some topics are just sacred and private and should be kept that way.  Guard these topics close to your heart and consider letting the Lord guide you in the right direction through prayer instead of your Facebook "friends" who will mostly likely not even care or even worse, turn it into idle gossip.  As women, I hope that we can all strive to hold ourselves to a higher standard and save some things for a coffee date with the girls or even consider keeping somethings sacred, to be shared only with your significant other or God.  


Hebrews 13:18     Pray for us, for we are sure that we have a clear conscience, desiring to act honorably in all things.



2 comments: