Monday, July 30, 2012

My Best Birthday Gift Ever!



Howdy Gal Pals!

I hope you are all enjoying your summer.  I know I am.  Thought I would share with all of you the highlight of my summer.  This year we made the 12 hour trek by car to visit with our family in upstate NY where we spent our 4th of July week with them.  This is a particularly special time for us because there is so much to celebrate during this week.  My birthday falls on the 2nd and my husband's is on the 6th.  But this year was a very special birthday for me, unlike any other birthday celebration I have ever experienced. 

This year, I was given the best birthday gift ever, the gift of the Holy Spirit!  I made the decision to become born again on my birthday.  It was very special not only for me, but for my sister-in-law and husband who joined me in being baptized as well. 

Born Again!


My sis-in-law, Hubby & Me after baptism

It is so exciting to finally officially be initiated into the Christian family of believers.  The holy spirit was truly strong on this special day.  After years of prayer, study and reflection, I felt as though all of my former struggles with faith were now behind me and I was truly "born again". 

However, I fully realize that being baptized is just the beginning of a very long journey as I begin my "love walk" with Christ.  Becoming a Christian through baptism does not mean that all is perfect and that I am completely transformed for the better.  As a matter of fact, the real work has just begun.  I am what Joyce Meyers, Enjoying Everyday Life, refers to as a "baby Christian", I'm learning each day and growing in my spiritual relationship with God and will continue to do so throughout my life.  My journey has just begun and much like a new romance, when the excitement and novelty wears off, that's when the true work and commitment begins.  So, how do I stay diligent and not stray off path with my love walk with Christ?  Well the following are some ways that have seemed to help me thus far.

1.  I have been committed to rising early each day before my daughter wakes so that I can have special study/reflection time.  Something I would encourage everyone to do, but especially mothers who can feel overwhelmed caring for their families and household.  Wow!  What a difference this makes!  Lately, in the mornings, I have been reading Joyce Meyer's latest book, Battlefield of the Mind.  An excellent read and one that I would highly recommend to anyone. 

2.  When my daughter naps, I workout and listen to Christian lessons on CD or Christian music and then after my workout, I spend 30 minutes watching a recorded ministry show that I enjoy.  This gives me the perfect mid-day pick-me-up that I often need to be the best mom and wife I can be. 

3.  My husband and I still have a weekly bible study and prayer night.  While the day we have this bible study may change depending on our schedules, we make sure that we do it each week.  I find that studying God's word together brings us closer with Him and each other. 

4.  Pray, pray, pray!!!  Prayer is a powerful tool especially when you are having one of those days.  Praying each day, multiple times a day truly strengthens my relationship with God.  It's important to get in the habit of praying when things are going well or when things get rough.  It is a great habit to form because it will get you over obstacles that occur in life. 

Its important to strengthen our relationship with the Savior and to not stray off path and put our faith on autopilot which is all too easy to do.  It does take discipline to grow in our relationship with God, but the rewards are so worth it!  Just like anything in life, you reap what you sow.  I know these tools and activities have been a real blessing to me and my personal relationship with God so far and I hope all of you can take comfort in them as well as you walk with God. 

God Bless!

Ephesians 4: 22-24 - You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

2 comments:

  1. I love this Katherine. Very well said, And God is going to suprise you and show up in a very big way.. He love you and so do I.. mama kim

    ReplyDelete